Skip to Content

Food Safety

Texas Food Handler Training available on Canvas

Texas Food Handler Training

Email us ( to inquire about completing the Texas Food Handler Training on Canvas!

Temporary Food Establishment (TFE) Permit Program

Is your department or organization hosting an event on campus where food or beverages will be served to the general public? If your event or activity meets the following criteria, you will need to have an approved Temporary Food Establishment (TFE) Permit:

  • Your event will be open to the general campus community
  • Your event will serve food/beverages that will not be pre-packaged, or they will be removed from the packaging prior to being served

TFE Permit Application Documents

In order to sell or give out food on campus, the Temporary Food Establishment Permit Application must be submitted to EHSREM at least ten (10) days prior to your event. Depending on the characteristics of your event, additional documentation may need to be submitted and approved:

  • Texas Food Handler Certificate
  • Multi-Day Event Request Addendum for events taking place over multiple days
  • Open Flame Permit Request for events using open flame devices (Please note that portable charcoal grills are not permitted on campus)
  • Vendor Information for events serving food from a vendor

TFE Permit Application Process

Please read the following information carefully before submitting a TFE Permit Application:

  1. Download and save the required fillable forms to your computer. This will allow you to type in your information and save it.
  2. Compile all required documents and submit to EHSREM ( for review and approval at least ten (10) business days prior to the first day of your event. Please include all required documentation in the application. Potential documents that may need to be included are: 
    • Temporary Food Establishment Permit Application
    • Copies of Texas Food Handler Certifications
    • Multi-Day Event Addendum
    • Open Flame Permit
    • Vendor/restaurant information (e.g. Retail Food Establishment Permit or Certificate of Liability Insurance)
  3. Approval from EHSREM must be issued prior to initiation of any temporary food service operation

Please note: Submitting a TFE Application does not confirm a space reservation on campus. Prior to submitting a TFE Permit Application, please ensure that your organization has submitted the appropriate Campus Access Requests to Student Involvement at LBJSC. If you require access to power, please request a space in the LBJ Mall as the Quad does not have power access.

During Event Operation

Please read the following information carefully before proceeding with your event:

EHSREM may inspect any Temporary Food Establishment taking place on the Texas State campus. To ensure your booth is in compliance with TXST food safety standards, please download and the review the Temporary Food Establishment Checklist.

It is the responsibility of the TFE to ensure the site is left in a clean condition after the event. Leaving behind trash, grease stains, or wastewater is prohibited. Contact if you have any questions. 

Frequently Asked Questions 

  • Private or closed events are NOT required to submit a TFE Permit Application

    Private events are closed off to the general campus community and are not openly advertised. These events may be invite-only or may only be open to members of the organization or department. Examples of private events may include:

    • Private tailgate parties
    • Department or organization potlucks
    • Organization banquets
    • Cook-outs
    • Picnics
    • Other similar events that are not open to the public
  • Public or open events must submit a TFE Permit Application when serving food on campus.

    Public events are open to the general campus community and can be accessed by any/all Texas State University faculty, staff, students, or campus visitors. Public events may be advertised openly to the campus community (directly or indirectly) and can be free or have a paid admission fee. Examples of public events may include:

    • Food distribution in common spaces or open areas (e.g. the Quad, Mall, Bobcat Trail, etc.)
    • Fairs or festivals
    • Events with open invitations
    • Sporting events
    • Other similar events where food is served to the general public
  • No, submitting a TFE Permit Application does not reserve space on campus.

    Space reservation forms, solicitation requests, or other documentation must be submitted to Student Involvement or other involved department(s), as applicable.

  • EHSREM receives a large number of TFE Applications on a weekly basis. Applications are reviewed and approved in order of date priority. If there are questions about your application, you will be contacted by EHSREM. To check the status of your TFE Application, please email EHSREM at

    Please note: TFE Applications submitted over the weekend, on a holiday, or after 5:00pm will not be reviewed until the next business day.

  • During events that involve the distribution of cooked/prepared foods, Student Involvement and/or EHSREM may conduct random food safety inspections. During the course of the inspections, non-compliance with food handling standards will be noted and must be corrected immediately. Food services will be suspended if a potential food risk is not immediately corrected.

    Safe food handling practices and inspections are in accordance with the Texas Food Establishment Rules (TFER) 25 TAC 229.161 — 229.171, 229.173 — 229.175. The TFER provides the rules for which inspections are based upon to prevent foodborne illness. In addition, organizations serving food must comply with the policy Food Safety and Sanitation

  • No, you do not need to submit a TFE Permit Application.

    Serving manufactured, pre-packaged food or beverage does not require a TFE Permit Application. However, if the food is removed from packaging prior to serving, a TFE Permit Application must be submitted.

    Your organization must still submit Campus Access Requests to Student Involvement at LBJSC.

  • Only certain baked goods covered under the Cottage Food Law are permitted to be made at home. All other foods must be made on site or provided by a vendor. Please refer to the Cottage Food Law Handout for a list of acceptable foods and the requirements that must be met. 

  • If you will be hosting a large event where multiple groups or vendors will be serving food, each group/vendor must complete a separate TFE application along with any additional required documents.

Texas Food Handler Training Course

If your department or organization will be providing food at events open to the public, at least one person with a Texas Food Handler Certification is required to be present at your TFE at all times. Environmental Health, Safety, Risk and Emergency Management (EHSREM), in partnership with Student Involvement, provides Texas Food Handler Training for students, staff, and faculty. 

To complete the Texas Food Handler Training online through Canvas, please email us at stating your name and Net ID. 

Before registering for the Texas Food Handler Course, please review the following:

  • A valid student PLID (A#) and email are required in order to register for the training.
  • Successfully complete the online or classroom training. A minimum score of 70% is required for successful completion.
  • Once you have successfully completed the training, you will be issued a Food Handler Certificate.
  • Food Handler Certificates are valid for 2 years after training date.
  • The certificate must be present while serving food at an open event or for sale of food to the public while on Texas State property.