Skip to Content

Shipping Regulated Material

For purposes of shipping, regulated materials which are classified as dangerous goods or hazardous materials Include items such as:


  • Biological materials
  • Chemicals
  • Radiological materials
  • Equipment containing a hazardous material
  • Lithium batteries
  • Dry ice
  • Compressed gases
  • Samples (Research materials)


Shipment of these materials is regulated by state, federal and international authorities.  Failure to comply with these regulations can result in fines and/or criminal penalties for the University and the individual responsible for shipping the materials.

To ensure Texas State University shipments comply with all regulations, some personnel have been trained to ship regulated materials and are the certified shippers for the University.

Those needing to ship regulated materials should complete the shipping request form at least one week prior to the desired shipping date.  A certified shipper will make contact to gather any additional information and assist in packaging and labeling the material for shipment.

Things to be aware of:

Some items will require specialized packaging such as UN spec boxes, inner containers and absorbent materials.  If that packaging is not in stock, the shipment may be delayed until such packaging is available.  Consult with a certified shipper before purchasing packaging to ensure the proper type is obtained or to determine if it is in stock.

Any non-shipping requirements need to be taken care of prior to shipping.  For instance, MTAs (Material Transfer Agreements) must be completed prior to shipping.  For international shipments, export control must be consulted to ensure the material is not restricted from shipment to the planned recipient.  For international shipments, the recipient may need to acquire an import permit in advance of shipping or the shipment may be delayed or destroyed by customs personnel.

Complete the Shipping Request Form to initiate a shipment.

To contact a certified shipper email or call EHSREM at 512-245-3616 for assistance.